Saturday, January 24, 2009

IPhone: Another slice of the Apple


I can’t say I didn't like it at the first sight. But it was definitely not love at first sight. I was not ready to pay anything for it. But when my wife gifted it to me, I just couldn't resist blushing at my fortune. With time, I blushed even more. Now, here I am, just a few months into this relation, which is still building strong, with my IPhone. Sometimes it does make me wonder how this little thing has managed to amaze me so much. I am a very choosy person. And far as I know myself, it takes quite a bit to truly impress me. It is not that I’m used to criticizing everything in front of me. It’s just that I hardly get completely satisfied with anything. So, when I get satisfied with something, do stop to ask myself - “why”. This interests me even more knowing the fact that, it is not only me who’s so satisfied with the IPhone, but in general IPhone has succeeded considerably in satisfying its owner.

This post is about me analyzing what I like in my IPhone by bringing it to a very general perspective. I will not get into technicalities and any specific feature, but will discuss some of the general characteristics which made the difference.

So, what do you like in your IPhone? When I asked that to myself, I found the following very critical things, which as per my interpretation, has largely contributed to its success. While I feel all of it, most of it could be felt subconsciously, without any realization unless I press for it. And even when I feel it, it might go away pretty fast. That being said, you may think, “well what is it good for”. Hmmmmm! The important point is that it happens every single time I go back to the phone. That’s where the cumulative satisfaction counter adds up.

Stony soft hardness: This is what I feel when I look at it. It is sleek, but it is solid with high density mass. This is one of the factors which add gravity to it. Its curved edges bring in enough smoothness in its look and touch. But the gravitating mass and the glazy top entrust the hardness in its feel. You can feel the same with some round stones curved by water. The result: You know it’s going to be soft to you while it will be strong enough to do its due. This same look and feel has been continued inside, I mean in the OS and the applications. You can get a feel of the same in its icons. While its there inside, but you would feel that the softness predominates the hardness.

Human touch: What happens when you touch another human? Or your pet? It reacts. This goes back to the basic human psyche of command and action. We are used to giving commands by our voice as well as our body. Remember body language? This is natural to us. Even if I have a stick made of diamonds, I’d love to hold the hand of my dear one and bring her close to me. Mouse, Scroll buttons, Joysticks and keypads are like diamond sticks. With these, I can very well give the command. But it’s not natural to me. When click on the icon with my finger and see it reacting and opening an application, it gives me the feel of my touch. When I slide the screen by moving my finger on the screen, it gives me the feel of my touch. This is all about going back to the basics.

More to see: We humans have a full vision of whatever is in front of us. And our sight is restricted by barriers such as through a window of a wall or grills, we get irritated due to the lack of visual information. Thus, even though we have got used to viewing in the small area of a television, we are more satisfied when we get a bigger area to view at. Obviously, we see a trend in moving to bigger and bigger television sets. By incorporating the keypad as a dynamic touch keypad in the screen, which goes away when it is not required, Apple did a great job of providing more area for the user to view, resulting in more satisfaction. This again happens when you turn your IPhone to view something in the landscape mode.


Well, IPhone is not the only phone to provide these features, including this. There have been other phones with these features too. But in most case, they did not have all of these features packaged together. And even if they had, the combination was not exactly an IPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment